Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Gaoler's Mews

Gaoler's Mews
A little exploring on my lunch break with my camera today led me to Gaoler's Mews, a small courtyard in Gastown with a bit of a dark history. The spot previously held Vancouver's first jail until it burned down in 1886 and, I hear, the cobblestone courtyard was the very spot where the hangman's scaffold once stood.  According to Ghosts of Old Vancouver, a couple of ghosts haunt these spots. Though I haven't seen any myself, I do find it the perfect spot for a nice cup of tea and a good croissant, with the secluded courtyard serving up an atmosphere of intrigue and mystery.
Gaoler's Mews Carrall Street Entrance
Apres Midi Premium Teahouse
Shops in Gaoler's Mews
Reflection in the window
Alleyway of Gaoler's Mews
Apres Midi Premium Teahouse
Flowers in a window in Gaoler's Mews

No comments:

Post a Comment